Koa Hang is the transformation rice which has been made many hundred years ago from the folk wisdom of traditional northeast Thai people who found the process of cooking rice that full of nutrients. Nowadays, Koa Hang was not popular as in the past because more people prefer to eat cooked rice. However, there are three kinds of Koa Hang. The first is Koa Hang (Milk Period). Second is Koa Hang (no ripen) and the last is Koa Hang (ripen). These three kinds are little different in the making process.
The process of making Koa Hang is soaking whatever kind of paddy in the water (The traditional northeast Thai people prefer Jasmine Rice 105 because of its sweet fragrant). This action will stimulate the rice to produce GABA which is a substance that has a utility on the memory. After soaking the rice about 12-24 hours, it will absorb the nutrients from its chaff. Then, streaming and drying the rice before barking by rice mill. After you have got the brown rice means the process of making Koa Hang is finished.
However, the process of making GABA Rice is most likely the same as Koa Hang but adding the ripening process which could have done by soaking the rice more about 48 hours. The rice will grow a root and has more GABA than Koa Hang.
The process of cooking Kao Hang is simple as normal rice, but using more water. You have to use water 1.5-2 sections for Kao Hang 1 section. Be remembered that you should not wash Kao Hang for too long because the vitamins inside the rice might dissolve (If you used new rice, then it will not necessary to wash). Then, cook the rice and leave it for 5 minutes.
The Nutrients from the Germination
- 1. GABA: 15 times more than the usual brown rice. This substance has many utilities. The first is on “Nervous System”. The GABA will help on brain equilibration, relaxation, tension moderation, and prevent the memory lapse. Second is on “Muscular System”, it will help on muscular relaxation, stimulate on growth hormone production, produce tissues, fitting muscular, and slowly aging. Third is on “Enzyme System”, it will stimulate enzyme production for detoxify and help on glucose and cholesterol controlling in blood. The last is on “Blood Circulation System”. It will make a good blood circulation, stimulate bile pulsing to the bowel for disintegration of fat, prevent the bowel cancer, and stimulate endorphins production.
- 2. Protein: rebuild muscle tissues.
- 3. High-Fiber: 15-20 times more than the white rice. This will help on “Digestion System” which slowly it and lightly absorb glucose to bloodstream. This process will make you lose fat which is the cause of diabetes very well. Moreover, it will improve the “Excretory System” and prevent the colon cancer with detoxify.
- 4. High Density Lipoprotein (HDL): decreased the LDL by improved HDL. It will remove the number of lipid in blood vessel, prevent heart disease, prevent neoplasm, and destroy the breast cancer which is 6 times more effective than Vitamin E.
- 5. Antioxidant: decreased the oxidant which is the cause of cancer, prevent virus and bacteria, heart disease, rheumatic, and gout.
- 6. Vitamin and Minerals: contained Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, E, and iron. It will boost your body to be healthful and improve the action of the systems.
Development and Business Value-Added Reseller
“Green Leaf” is the famous brand which making Koa Hang as product for health. They emphasized on nutrients and nutrition value of Thai rice. This is the first product of innovation from Mr. Chompot, the third heir of rice mill business of Kasemrungchaikit family. He took on a research of Khon Kaen University before made the brand new innovation known as “Sticky Brown Rice”
From the success of the scholar from Kasetsart University and Agricultural Research Development Agency (Public Organization) or ARDA which study and develop the production technology together on “Sticky Brown Rice” from Automatic Sticky Rice Machine that could made the clean rice as international standard. Mr. Chompot then got involved with this and took the production technology with price about 1.9 million baht.
Later on, they intend to sell the GABA Rice as a package with production capacity about 1 ton per day. However, there is the flexibility in production technology which could improve to 5-10 tons per day according to circulation and situation. They expected to start selling their product on this October. Nevertheless, the sale price of the Jasmine Brown Rice in local market is about 35-50 baht per kilogram, but the GABA Rice could increase to about 100-200 baht per kilogram which could make the highly value added from simple brown rice.
Reference: Bangkokbiznews, July 18, 2011